I have finished the “naughty secretary” skirt. It looks like it’s all business with the grey fabric, but then you notice the saucy little flares on the bottom. 😉 (Ed note: I really wanted to call this the “mullet skirt”–you know, business on the outside, party on the inside? 😛 But I had too much fabric to make it in the exciting facing fabrics I thought I would.)
Anyway, now that the skirt is finished, I think it’s adorable. However, I don’t think it’s for me. 😦 It “hugs” my thighs in a rather unflattering way, so I think it’s going to be gifted to my SIL–it should fit her nicely. My invisible zipper is nearly perfect, 😯 but it keeps sticking so I don’t know if I got a faulty one, or if it just needs some sort of lubrication to make it work better. Right now it is harder to zip than it should be. I didn’t think to really test it before I sewed it on, I just unzipped it and went with the assumption that it didn’t work well because it didn’t have any stability.
I ended up just doing some straight stitches on the yokes/flaps, and it looks nice without being overpowering, so I think I made the right decision. I used some silver-ish buttons from my stash for the flaps, and I’m still on the fence about them.
Something about them just doesn’t seem quite right….I can’t decide if it’s that they aren’t bright enough, big enough, or if I should have just went out to buy some black buttons like the version on the envelope indicates. If the new owner wants to change it, hopefully she’ll give me back the buttons so that I can use them for something else. 😉
Here is the full finished version of it, I hope you think it’s as darling as I do:
Now I know that some of you observant seamstresses will notice that it’s not hemmed. The reason for that is that I am really short, so my hem would have been pretty deep to get it to hit me just above the knee. However, the person I am giving it to is taller and will undoubtedly need it longer, so I’m going to let her decide how long/short she wants it.