I had mentioned the other day that I tried to make Vogue 8251 out of some slinky and had major garment fail. I decided to give it another shot, with a more appropriate fabric choice, and I think it turned out pretty cool. I will try to get a better picture of it later, but for now, I’ve got this one:
If you can see the little red arrow, it’s pointing to an area where I need to put in a couple of hand stitches to hold the small hole closed. It’s probably not a big deal, and it’s doubtful anyone else will notice it, but I’ll know it’s there, and I’ll be annoyed with it until I fix it. Also, if you can see them, ignore the purple spots–those are from my marking pen–and they have since been washed out, so they aren’t visible anymore. 🙂
I really like it, the fabric is pretty cute, and hubby likes the way it looks on me, so I guess he approves of me wearing outside the house. I consider that to be a success. 🙂 Here’s some things about the pattern that I didn’t care for though…
*The back needs something to help support it. You could probably put in some clear elastic across the back to give it some body–because all they have you do is overlock the edge and fold it under…I just don’t think that’s a great idea in hindsight, but it’s not something you can easily go back and fix later.
*The directions fail to mention that the back piece ends up being around 4″ shorter than the front piece–you can ease it in with no major difficulties, but I definitely freaked out thinking I’d cut a size 4 instead of a 14 for the back piece there for a bit!
*It’s hard to pull the elastic down the sides, I HIGHLY recommend making sure that you pull the elastic down the casing on the front side first because it’s the one with all the seams and such making it a bit harder to work with when the back side is already done…ask me how I know. 🙄
*I’m not completely happy with the knot detail in the front, I think if I were to make it again I’d maybe fuse some lightweight knit interfacing to give the knot more substance so that it looks prettier in the finished product. Maybe someone else has a better idea though?
*Interface the straps!! The directions leave this out, but I think it makes the finished straps so much nicer looking, as well as preventing some of the stretch that may occur during wear. Just be sure to keep the interfacing out of the seam allowances to save yourself some headache when you are pressing them. I also graded the seams on the straps to help them lay more flat, and would recommend doing that.
Other than that, it’s a nice simple pattern that goes together relatively quickly and looks cute. 🙂 You don’t even need a serger to complete it, since there’s so few opportunities where you could use one anyway.
BTW, Vogue, if you see this, enough with the stupid dots already! It’s kind of hard to place them accurately on a squirmy knit, and some of them didn’t even serve a purpose!
Next up: Simplicity 2403 for a wedding in a couple of weeks. 🙂