A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I was making a bra and it was close, but needed a couple of tweaks. Well, I reworked it, and here’s what I ended up with. 🙂 I’m really not sure how comfortable I am with posting these pictures, but it’s really hard to tell what I’m talking about if I don’t…so I cropped the crap out of them, hopefully, you can still get the idea.
On the first one, the straps were too wide for my not-really-all-that-narrow shoulders, like you can see here:
So, on round two, I opted to do a bit of slicing & dicing on my pattern, like this (orange is original, purple is my adjustment):
That gave me nearly perfect strap location (though I think I might take another 1/4″ off and see if that’s too much or just right) like this:
I also opted to try a center front closure on the second bra, which while not beautiful (hey, I made this by the seat of my pants!) works just fine and I like it a lot. You can see it here:
I’m not totally sure, but it seems as though you need shorter/longer underwires if you do a front closing bra vs. a back closing one. Somehow it just seems to fit a bit different. Maybe it’s just my imagination….or I might have messed something up in my still rather crude efforts.
One thing I noticed that was kind of cool is that the gaping that I had in the front (where the orange squiggles are) on my first version were non-existent on my second version after doing my strap alteration. I’m always up for a two-for-one deal! 😉