The other day I said that I would post pictures of this once I got it hemmed. Well, it took a little longer than anticipated because I had some issues getting rid of the water soluble stabilizer that I used to keep the hems from tunneling….basically, after it soaked for a full day and the stuff hadn’t disentigrated, I threw it in the wash hoping the friction would eliminate what little was left. It didn’t. So, I pulled on the big girl panties and grabbed some tweezers and picked all of the little white fuzzies out of the hem around the bottom and the sleeves. That took a good 30-45 minutes last night, but I got it done, and now I’m looking for a better option to avoid tunneling or a way to get rid of the stabilizer a bit better. Especially since it didn’t eliminate the tunneling completely, though it probably would on a less drapey/heavier fabric than this.
1. Eliminated the elastic in the sleeves–I think it would have looked dorky and I don’t really like stuff touching/clinging to my arms. I’m glad I left it off.
2. Next time (yes, there’s definitely going to be a next time!) I’ll see about a gathering foot or a ruffling foot or something to help reduce the time spent on this massive amount of gathering.
3. Cut about 3″ off the hem–sometimes it’s irritating being short.
4. Need to start remembering to use the differential feed–I have it, why do I keep neglecting to use it?
5. Need to find out other options for preventing tunneling in the hems…
Here it is:
On my monitor it looks kind of teal–it’s not. The fabric is actually a really pretty emerald green. BTW, you’ll notice that I have my new dressform semi-up and running. 🙂 She’s not completely padded out yet, but I figured for a photo op she’d be just fine.
In other sewing news, I have another batch of burp rags to make! A gal called and requested a half dozen of them by the end of the week, so that’s probably what I’ll be doing for the next couple of days in my spare time. 🙂 They are still a pain to make, but at least they are getting easier with practice and it’s so soon after I made the last batch I’m still kind of in the groove. So at least they should go fairly quickly.