Old man winter has, unfortunately, arrived. But, I have a recipe here that will help you overcome his chill and give you some comfort. This potato soup is awesome, and I discovered a little trick today that makes it even better. 🙂
Delicious Ham & Potato SoupBy: Ellie11 @ Allrecipes.com
Original recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/delicious-ham-and-potato-soup/detail.aspx
- 6-7 Medium sized peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion (I use 1.5 tsp onion powder)
- Half package of diced ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 or 4 tablespoons cornstarch (depending on preferred thickness)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in cornstarch with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk and cream as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk/cream has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.