So. I’ve been dreading this post, since a couple of you expressed interest in the fabric and/or the pattern. I’m sorry. I don’t know what happened, but this just didn’t work out for me. I suspect that the slippery fabric got off grain a bit (or perhaps a lot)? Anyway, it pulls oddly (while being a bit big everywhere), there’s a strange “poof” under each of the bust darts as though they aren’t big enough, but it pulls the blouse up awkwardly if I pin it out….?
I don’t know. I’ve fiddled around with the pattern until my muslin seemed like it was going to be perfect, and then to cut it out and have it be all strange has kind of ticked me off. I would try to salvage it, except for the fact that it’s too short…I don’t know if it shrunk while I was pressing it?? I did prewash it, and send it through a fairly hot dryer, but I’ll confess that I had to use a pretty hot iron on it to get the darts to even come close to being pressed flat. I just know that when I lift my arms, way too much of my belly is on display, and no one wants to see that!
I could probably “fake it” if I wore it with an elastic belt, but I’m tired of ending up with stuff that I have to belt for it to look right. I just hate belts, OK!? I don’t like them on pants, I don’t like them around my ribcage (because that’s where they always end up–right under my boobs), and wow does that sound like a whiny little kid. 😳 Well, I guess that’s just how I roll sometimes. LOL. Seriously though, I have to wear one to hold my pants up, I’d really prefer not to wear one to “hold my chest up” too. 😛 (No, it doesn’t really do that, but they ride up and look like that’s what it’s doing.)
But lest you think this post is a complete whinefest, I did learn a lot about my body and it’s particular fit issues as well as how to fix the flat pieces of paper to get the results I want. And I also learned that apparently you can do 2 FBA’s to get a more accurate result, which is something I’m definitely going to start doing, because one huge one really makes the armscye awkward, and the dart unwieldy (plus it ends up not quite big enough). I definitely liked cutting out the size 8 in the front (and a 12 in the back), I think it came closest to fitting my more-appropriate-for-a-10-year-old shoulders and upper chest than the 12 does. I really need to figure out a good method of scooping out across the high bust area though, seems like no matter what I do the set in sleeves get strange wrinkles in the front next to my boobs, but the alternative seems to be lots of pulling when I move my arms forward. Any fitting experts who know what I’m doing wrong, I’m desperate to hear from you!!
So, next I think I need a quick and easy project, and I’ve got just the fabric and pattern. After that, I have a couple of dresses that I’ve been wanting to make up since my one and only pair of remaining slacks are getting too big and are also dry clean only (seriously, I have no idea why I bought dry clean only pants–especially not dirt magnet black wool pants!) Plus, I think I’d like to wear a few more dresses…just to see how I like them over the long term. I’ve always thought them too girly, but maybe my tastes have changed. We’ll see. Anyway, congratulations if you make it through this excessively long and boring
novel post! You are awesome!! Mwah!