Butterick 5497 & Jalie 2794

Hello? Is anyone still here? I’ve been pretty quiet for a while, but I promise that there has been sewing going on around here. In fact, I’ve got two, yes two finished projects! 🙂

Well, I suppose that’s not *quite* true…the Jalie needs a double needle hem job, otherwise they are complete finished. I’ll admit that I was kind of nervous about putting another double needle in my machine though, after having some serious sewing machine drama while trying to hem the Jalie blouse. When I used it on the Butterick one though, I had no problems, so it must have been a slightly bent needle or something. OK, I’m positive that’s what the problem was, even the Jalie’s mesh fabric went like a lamb with the new needle. 🙂

I made a sheer version of the famous Jalie sweetheart tee. I kind of thought that my last one was a bit on the tight side for my comfort–it was OK, but I get a bit paranoid about things pulling over my stomach. This one though is a bit on the loose side. 😕 We’ll have to see what happens when I wash it because *gasp* I didn’t bother to prewash the fabric. I know, I know, I’m such a rebel. I’m planning to wear it with a cream colored cami underneath, but I could probably get a black one too, just to change it up a bit.

The second blouse is a long sleeved version of 5497. I’ve made the sexy version before, so I knew that a 12 would work fine even without an FBA (though I really should have added an extra inch to the bottom of the upper bodice for more space for the boobies.) It went together surprisingly fast, especially compared to the more risque version, which has a couple of quirks that make it seem to take forever. I did have a couple of notes though, in case someone else plans to make this up in the long sleeve version.

  • The sleeves end at an awkward length–this is unavoidable because of the width of fabric limitations. I think they might call them ‘bracelet’ length, but I call them too short. I hacked off 3″ and did a 1″ hem, and kind of wish I’d have removed an extra inch. So just measure carefully to see how that will work for you before you cut.
  • The end of the sleeves using the 5/8″ seam allowances get pretty snug, and my forearms are like tiny little toothpick arms. So be aware of that if you like to push your sleeves up. (Obviously this will work differently if you have a knit with 4 way stretch, mine didn’t).
  • I read several reviews of this view that weren’t very kind to the pattern. I didn’t have any of those same issues, BUT I used a thin rayon jersey. I wouldn’t recommending using a heavier fabric than that. It doesn’t need to be tissue weight, but it needs to be fairly thin and have excellent drape. It also needs to take well to pressing (mine doesn’t) so that it gets a nice finish.

Overall, this blouse was well out of my comfort zone with the funky sleeves, but honestly? I kind of like them. Though I’m not sure if they do my upper body any favors…hubby likes it though, so I’m going to count it as a success. He’s not a fashionista or anything, but if he’s willing to be seen with me while wearing it, I figure it can’t be too bad. 😉

I’ve got my little (sick 😦 ) helper holding the sleeve.

Back view.

I’m not really sure how you wear sleeves like that under a jacket, but I guess I’ll figure that out when I get there. 🙂

Anyway, I suppose I should get back to cleaning up the mess from my son being sick last night. I’ve been trying to get all the sheets/towels/clothes washed after a couple of puking accidents. At least he’s over that now, so all that’s left is the aftermath. Wish me luck!

 

Advertisements

Forgottonly convenient?

Well, whatever it should be called, I conveniently discovered a sweater that had been banished to the floor of shame in my sewing room for some unknown reason. You might (or maybe not) remember it from this post. It was missing a neckband, and alas I couldn’t find any scraps of the fabric from the rest of the sweater (maybe that’s why it was banished?), but HA! HA! I just happened to have some grey knit in a very similar color to use as a facing for the neckline. Or at least I think it would be a facing? Or maybe it would just be like using bias tape (except not)? Well, whatever. The point is, I now have a perfectly fitting sweater that took me like an extra 15 minutes to finish and will be perfect for my meeting tomorrow. I’ve got it in the wash right now so that it’s ready to rock first thing in the morning.

In other sewing news, I’m on the prowl for a replacement machine. The Pfaff and I are having some “irreconcilable differences”. I’m open to suggestions, especially if you know of the perfect machine that meets these requirements:

  • Adjustable presser foot pressure.
  • Beautiful trouble-free buttonholes.
  • Can realistically handle sewing jeans.
  • Costs less than $1000 USD.
  • Bonus if it is capable of small embroidery projects.

I know, I ask too much. 😳 😦